Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Movie Report: Heathers


When you were in high school, did you ever have an urge to blow the place up with everyone inside?

I did, almost every damn day. (For the record, my much-hated alma mater is still standing.) So I identified with Heathers, and this 1989 flick has been one of my favorite movies ever since.

One of the best black comedies ever made, Heathers is a highly-stylized, over-the-top depiction of 1980s teenagers that captures the essence of high school life in America. It trashes the teen movie genre as it celebrates it, and it even captures the outsiders' response to it in the form of the adults in the film.

Nasty, bitchy and black, black, black, Heathers is sick, demented, outrageous to the point of being unbelievable and strangely, it makes a hell of a lot of sense. It's even got the 1980s dream cast -- Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, Shannen Doherty. This is the Casablanca of teen movies.

Sheer brilliance. If I'm very, very lucky, someday I'll write something half as good.

I still want to be Veronica when I grow up.

No comments: