Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Book Report: Will the Vampire People Please Leave the Lobby?

A book about Buffy and Fandom? I'm there!

Because let's face it. Fans, fandom, communities -- they're pretty important to me these days. I'm still looking for that great book that explains genre fans to people who just don't get it -- I've spent hours trying to explain it to PR people.

This isn't that book. Maybe I'll have to write it someday.

What this is, however, is a series of essays about one woman's journey down the dark paths of fandom, and how her association with it gave her a life and a job. (Hmmm, that kinda sound familiar ...)

And while parts of it ring true -- I really like the discussion of "Munchhausen's by Internet" -- about the fourth or fifth time the author rhapsodizes about how totally *amazing* it is that people who have only known each other online are *meeting*! In! Real! Life! I just want to tell her to go get a life.

Because in our Web 2.0, social networking, MMO playing culture, is that *really* such an odd concept anymore? It's not for me.

And I really didn't like how she cut down academics who study topics such as Buffy. OK, fine -- the author isn't interested. All she is interested in is fandom, because it is sooo amazing that these people meet In! Real! Life!

But that doesn't mean that its not a valid field of study. Get over yourself, fangirl.

Still, the inside peek into the world of writer stalking and cat sitting was fun, and there was one great concept that she stumbled onto almost by accident that really hit home with me.

The people who get wrapped up in a show or a game or whatever to the point that they want a personal connection with the authors, actors or devs just want to be noticed. They want someone they see as "special" to say "you're special too."

It's a simple concept of community, and it's so easy to do. The sad thing is, some of the "special" people have bought their own hype, and forgotten how to be nice.

So I do it for them.

No comments: