Friday, April 18, 2008

Book Report: Kohkumthena's Grandchildren: The Shawnee

If you happen to have an interest in Native American culture, particularly that of the tribes that aren't as well-covered as the Sioux or Apache, *and* you can find a copy of this book, which had a very limited print run from a regional publisher, this is the book for you.

The author relates the oral traditions of the Shawnee through the framework of sacred relics coming to life and telling their stories to a young boy. It's an easy, non-scholarly read, although it has a scholarly background. While the author (Dark Rain Thom) didn't do the best job of documenting her sources, it's obvious that she did do her research.

I didn't find what I was looking for in this book (I've got a project rattling around in the back of my brain that would benefit greatly from some actual Shawnee ghost legends) it did give me a basis for characterizing these people and their beliefs.

No comments: