Thursday, April 03, 2008

Book Report: Four and Twenty Blackbirds

This book is a bit odd.

It's advertised as one in Mercedes Lackey's "Bardic Voices" series, but where are the bards? Not here! So if you're looking for Wren and company, you're going to be disappointed.

What we do have is a mystery about a series of seemingly unrelated murders that share some common characteristics. All the victims are women. All claim to be musicians of some type. All are killed with a very unusual knife. And all are done in the rain, possibly because water washes away traces of magic.

Sounds like a serial killer, right? Well the authorities don't think so -- because in each case a murderer does the deed and then promptly commits suicide.

One constable, Tal Rufen, won't let it go, and the book follows his dogged search for an all-too-obvious killer. I figured out who it was by chapter four, and Lackey comes right out and *says* who it is in chapter eight. So much for the mystery.

So we get a slog towards an inevitable ending where good triumphs over evil -- you know it's gonna happen, you just don't know how.

I finished the book, and I wasn't bored or annoyed while reading it -- I like Lackey's style. But thinking back, I'm not sure *why* I enjoyed reading this.

Like I said ... odd.

No comments: