Monday, January 22, 2007

Anime Report: Ai Yori Aoshi: Faithfully Yours


It wasn't enough to make you read about the manga -- I bought the anime!

Bwaahahhahahahahahaha! My evil plan comes to fruition!

The first episodes of the anime focus almost entirely on Aoi and Kaoru, and is a sweet, romantic tale of two lonely people finding happiness and being willing to fight to keep it.

Kaoru is a lovable nerd, Aoi a sweet doormat who lives to serve her man. "When I think of him, I am truly grateful that I was born in this world," Aoi tells Kaoru before she realizes who he is. And he better be grateful -- she's the best thing that's ever happened to him.

If it's possible, Aoi is even cuter in the anime than she is in the manga -- she's drawn with such big eyes and perfect features she reminds me of a muppet. Miyabi and Taeko are cute, too.

I love the big fat cat who lurks around the mansion that Aoi talks to sometimes -- that's new. I don't love that Tina gets the biggest hick accent imaginable and there's *fiddle* music playing when she's introduced.

There's one *huge* problem with this anime, though, and it's in the English dub. They misprounce Aoi's name, making it sound like "Owie." As in, "I dropped a hammer on my foot, and how I have an owie." It grates on me every time her name is said -- if you're gonna keep the names, learn how to flipping pronounce them!

No comments: