Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Movie Report: "Sky High"



Digging through the hours of stuff waiting to be watched on my DV-R, I found this 2005 flick.

I originally only wanted to see is because Bruce Campbell is in it. I'll watch damn near anything with Bruce Campbell in it -- the sweetie and I even dropped $10 bucks each to attend the Indiana premiere of "The Man with the Screaming Brain."

And Bruce did not disappoint -- he wasn't in the movie that much, but his scene in the school gym was highly amusing. I liked the design of the school (reminded me of "Battle Athletes") and Kurt Russell gave a nice tongue-in-cheek performance as The Commander. It's also nice to see some of the guys from Kids in the Hall get some work.

The movie? Take a 1980s teen romance comedy, remove all the nudity and off-color humor, and add superheroes. The soundtrack is even from the '80s -- a bunch of remakes of Spandau Ballet and Modern English. I wouldn't nominate it for an Oscar, but if you've got to watch something with a kid, this won't rot your brain ... too much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the big twist ending where you realize the main villain was The Commander's arch foe who was turned into a baby then reraised to be a villinous again I was torn between shutting my mind down because I couldn't wrap it fully around it, or that it was sheer brilliance.

Fyre said...

Since you just explained it, I think you got it. ;-)