Friday, September 01, 2006

Book Report: "Mistress of the Empire"


Yes, I have a degree in English literature. But I read these days to relax, to learn and to entertain myself. You want literary criticism, go find a grad student.

"Mistress" is the third book in a series by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurtz.

I'm coming at the world a little backward, never having read the "Riftwar" books by Feist that explain what's going on and who the Tsuranuanni and Midkimians are, but a friend told me to read the first book in the series, "Daughter of the Empire," with the recommendation: "It's got lots of politics. You'll like it."

It does, and I do.

Mara is rare among fantasy heroines -- a woman who rises to power while remaining completely female. No learning to fight like a man or taking on mannish traits -- she's tough as nails and completely feminine.


The flow of "Mistress" is derivative of the first two books, although that serves to underline the stagnation of the Tsurani culture. It's still enjoyable to follow along as Mara schemes her way out some trap or another. And "Mistress" has a good bit more about Arakasi -- Mara's spy master and my favorite character. His one-man assault on a Tong stronghold? Very cool.

I do have some problems with "Mistress," though. I'll try not to spoil too much.

  • A deux ex machina at a key point is a sign of sloppy writing.
  • The response of a patriarchal, tradition-bound culture to a multiracial son of a slave rising to a prominent position may not be "Eh, that's cool."
  • The "happy happy love love" ending was a bit much for me. I'm not sure it would be that easy.
  • And if you're going to divorce a man who's treated you with nothing but kindness and respect, who's risked his life for yours and has given you nothing but love, honor and wisdom during your marriage, maybe you want to warn the poor bastard before handing him the papers in front of the entire flippin' court? Even if the reasons are noble, there are people on "Springer" who have been less cruel.

But overall, I liked "Mistress." I'd read it again, and I'd recommend it if you're a fantasy fan. (But start with "Daughter of the Empire")

"It's got lots of politics. You'll like it."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Staying totally femenine eh?
So you're telling me she had a voice like christina agulara and could shake it like shakira?

That just might be a book I gotta read.

Fyre said...

Sigh ... heathen ;-)