Saturday, September 16, 2006

I made it! Booga Bag



Lookie at what I made!

I am no where near an expert knitter. In fact, most of the things I've completed are some sort of rectangle. So I'm pretty psyched about finishing this.

My Booga is made from Noro Kureyon 139 -- my first time using something beside craptastic acrylic from the craft store. And boy howdy ... knitting with nice wool really makes a difference! It was so easy on the needles ... no sticking, less splitting. It didn't make my fingers hurt, and it was actually fun to work with. And I'm so easily amused that watching the stripes appear entertained me.

Odd fact for the day: Noro yarns are from Japan, and "Kureyon" means "crayon." Cool name, huh?

Modifications I made to the pattern -- John helped me put in grommets instead of just poking holes for the straps, which I think looks better and will make the bag more sturdy. And I had leftover yarn, which I used to make a pocket inside (closes with Velcro) and a strap to hold the bag closed. The antiqued silver button is just for show -- there's Velcro there, too.

Unfortunately, I had leftover yarn because I didn't understand part of the pattern. It said to make 5-6 feet of I-cord for the straps, which I did. My first time using double-pointed needles too -- go me! But the pattern *didn't* say that the I-cord would shrink like crazy during the felting process and I wouldn't have enough to make the straps according to the pattern instructions. So I fudged. I think it looks pretty good, but next time I'll double the amount of I-cord I make.

The bag's also not quite as stiff as I would like it to be, and I can still see a bit of stitch definition, which makes me think I didn't felt it quite long enough. I'll fix that in the next one too. But it's pretty and fuzzy and stripey and I put my wallet and such in it and took it to lunch and the fabric store today, and I was happy.

I'm not much of a purse person, but I think I could get to like this one a lot.

If you want to make one, you can find the pattern here.

2 comments:

Paj said...

That really looks funky! In a good way!

Anonymous said...

Good? LOOKS GOOD?
You obviously don't understand what goes into making anything out of yarn.

Now I worked for Michael's Arts and Crafts for 4 years, so I can consider myself an expert.

Look at the colors, its like you painted that chair in crayon.
Am I really expected to carry around a dr. Seus painting on my arm?

And if you think you can see a "few" stiches then you must be squiting with only one eye. Its like you taped together some colored zippers. I just want to reach out and pull that one string that will undo the whole thing.

Finally the whole thing just looks blurry. The only things in focus on that picture are the chair and that button. Its like the bag watched the ring girl's tape before you took a picture of it.

Now when you go make my sweater thought that will be different. and I hope you make it out of orange and blue yarn. I'm thinking the sweater in blue with all the details in orange.