Monday, January 14, 2008

Movie Report: The Bucket List (2008)

This movie is not as sappy as the ads would make it out to be.

Fun and feisty, this movie seems designed for Oscar nominations, with two top actors (Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman) trading witty barbs, making hospital jokes and having tender man-bonding moments. I don't know if it's as good enough for the Oscars, but it ain't bad for a Saturday matinee.

I'm not going to get into the plot, because if you've seen the commercials, you can predict the plot. There are no surprises here. And I'm not sure if there need to be. This was basically a master class presented by two masterful actors, and we as viewers are just here to enjoy the show.

But bring tissues. I cried my way through the last twenty minutes, as I knew I would when I walked into the theater. The fact that it didn't bug me (I have a distaste for sappy "heartwarming" flicks) is a tribute to just how wonderful Nicholson and Freeman are to watch.

No comments: