Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Movie Report: "The Long Kiss Goodnight"


So help me, I liked Geena Davis as an action star. I even liked "Cutthroat Island."

I can't believe I just admitted that in public.

But knowing that, is it any surprise that I not only own this underrated 1996 movie, I count it among my holiday flicks?

Because it doesn't have to be warm and fuzzy to be Christmassy. Yeah, "Kiss" is cheesy and chock full of action movie cliches, including the ever-popular exploding windshields, but it's got snappy, funny dialogue, Samuel L. Jackson (which ratchets most movies up at least two points) and everyone seems to be having such a good time that the viewers do too.

Davis plays a schoolteacher with amnesia, whose forgotten black-book past comes back to haunt her. Jackson is the low-rent hood turned private dick trying to help her find out who she is.

If this movie were made today, it would be a $200 million big-budget show with Angelina Jolie in the lead. And while she could pull off the icy assassin with ease, I think she'd have a lot of trouble with the "frumpy schoolteacher" part of the role. Jackson would still be the borderline immortal Mitch -- no one else could do the role justice.

Fun, turn-your-brain-off action with a healthy sprinkle of Christmas carols and big red bows. Don't try to make it make sense -- just kick back and enjoy the ride.

We just jumped out of a building!

Yes, it was very exciting. Tomorrow we go to the zoo.

No comments: