Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Movie Report: "A Christmas Story"


You'll shoot your eye out!

C'mon -- you had to know I was going to include this one!

I used to think it's because I'm from the Midwest that I relate to this movie so much -- something about the whole look of the film, from the old houses to the rustbucket cars and slush on the streets, reminds me of home. But seeing as TBS can sell advertising to run this 1983 flick for 24 hours straight, I know it's not just a Midwest thing.

Do I even need to give you a rundown of the plot? Because seriously, if you haven't seen this movie, there is something *seriously* wrong with you. Seek help.

Nostalgic, funny and charming, Ralphie's yearning for a Red Ryder BB gun is the eternal quest of every kid wishing for the perfect Christmas, and every parent who wants to give that perfect Christmas to their child.

This is, flat-out, one of the best Christmas movies ever made, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

It was Christmas 2003. My father had died a month before, which meant I was still reeling and as far from the Christmas spirit as you could get. Part of me wanted to chuck the whole holiday altogether.

Realizing that Christmas day was going to be sad and strange, and that nothing was going to feel like it should, my husband and I decided to mix it up a bit. Instead of having a big, awkward holiday dinner and feeling lonely, we picked up my mom and went cruising for an open Chinese restaurant. The holidays, "Christmas Story" style. Dad would have loved it, and it opened the door to let us smile a little.

I just wish I could have conned the waiter into singing.

No comments: