Sunday, December 03, 2006

Comic Report: Runaways: Pride and Joy



When I heard that Joss Whedon is going to be taking over Runaways, I knew I would add it to my pull list. I'll read anything Whedon writes. Or is vaguely associated with. I am an official Whedon fangirl. "The Serenity Phone Book"? Sign me up!

But it never hurts to be familiar with the backstory of a comic that you're jumping into, especially if its been running for awhile. Thanks to Marvel for releasing the Runaways back issues in handy manga-sized trades.

Six kids from the L.A. privileged set find out their parents are really mass-murdering supervillains. Yeah, you thought your parents were bad. What else is there to do but run away from home and fight evil?

The characters fit into stereotypical roles -- the jock, the goth girl, the outsider, the cute kid, the peacenik and the brain -- but they're appealing and are quickly developing their own personalities. The story, which deals with the kids learning about their powers and having their first confrontation with their parents, is witty and well-paced.

Now their dealing with being runaways, being hunted by their parents and the vast network they control *and* learning how to be super -- do you take a codename? Do you make a costume? And who's getting dinner?

A preliminary attraction between Alex and Nico has real story potential. And Molly could develop into quite the scene-stealer -- once the other kids stop trying to hide everything from her.

Overall, this was fun with a bit of "Buffy" appeal. I'll be a regular reader.

No comments: