Saturday, November 04, 2006

Movie Report: "The Departed"



Wow ... just wow.

Martin Scorcese has made some masterful films. He also directed Michael Jackson's video for "Bad," and someday I might stop holding that against him.

This is another masterpiece.

I'm not sure how you could go wrong with this cast, or this script (although I might track down the Hong Kong original, "Internal Affairs," and see if they did it better.)

Because you know how some movies have that "OMG, I can't believe they did that!" moment? This one has five or six of those. It's really something.

Leonardo DiCaprio shows he's all grown up in the role of a undercover cop with a troubled past infiltrating the crew of a Boston crime lord. Matt Damon is a boy from the mean streets turned up-and-coming crime fighter. Mark Walberg plays the funniest, most foul-mouthed character I've seen in a movie since Stiffler in the "American Pie" flicks -- listen to his dialogue closely, it's a trip. And actors like Martin Sheen and Alec Baldwin in supporting roles? There's not a performance that isn't spot-on.

And then there's Jack. Nicholson's done some odd movies lately, and he chomps pretty hard on a few pieces of scenery here, but there was this ... Darkness to his mania. He plays Frank Costello as the face of evil, and for every stupid stunt with a dildo, there are great, subtle moments like how he casually buys a soul for a sack of groceries, or the look on a teenage girl's face when he whispers in her ear. Just beautiful.

I reserve the right to change my mind as I see more movies, but right now, "The Departed" is one of my Oscar picks. Maybe it's finally Scorcese's year.

No comments: