Monday, November 27, 2006

Comic Report: New Excalibur: Defending the Realm


A sudden interest in superheroes in Europe led me to the first trade of the New Excalibur title.

Defending London these days is a new team consisting of Captain Britain; Pete Wisdom (who amuses the heck out of me); Dazzler (betcha thought she was gone forever); Sage (sometimes linked with the X-Men, with a nifty set of mental powers); Nocturne (the alternate reality daughter of Nightcrawler and Scarlet Witch -- I'll admit to being a little confused); and reformed criminal Juggernaut (I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!)

The first trade involves the formation of the team, and confrontations with the Dark X-Men, Black Air, Black Tom Cassady, Lionheart, and Albion and the Warwolves. Being my first introduction to a lot of these baddies, it was nice not seeing the same old fights. I'd like to learn more about Black Air in particular.

Good action, decent character development, the hints of something between Pete Wisdom and Sage ... now that Marvel has tied up so many of its A-list in Civil War, which is increasingly becoming a real downer, I say bring on the B team! Lets see some superheroes be superheroes for a change.

No comments: