Thursday, November 23, 2006

I Made It! Bobblicious


Excuse the model -- it's a post-Halloween attempt to scare the kiddies.

My sweetie's grandmother is 91 and one of the coolest ladies ever. Last Christmas I made her a hat, out of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick. It was wine red with a pink bow, and she loved it -- I so wish I would have had my camera.

And since I love cool ladies who love my knitting, I had to make her something this year too. Enter Bobblicious.

This is probably the biggest thing I've knitted so far. And after a rough start -- I had to cast on three times, because I kept casting on too tight for the bobbles -- things smoothed out. There were points where I renamed it "Bobble pain in my ass" but once I hit the mile or so of reverse stockinette stitch, it was easy. Took me a month of knitting during movies and "Doctor Who" and in the car on long trips.

The yarn is Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Claret, just like the pattern calls for. Warm, cheap, machine-washable -- while I am discovering a love for Noro and the good stuff, I'm not going to be a fiber snob. I made it an inch or two shorter than called for -- Grandma's a little thing, and I didn't want it to overwhelm her.

Rosebride fell madly in love with the bobbles, so I'll be making a second one of these for her. And it is warm and snuggly, so there might be one for me. Green, no bobbles -- I gotta be different. ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments: