Saturday, November 25, 2006

Book Report: "Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way"


So the sweetie and I take a multi-hour car trip every two weeks to visit friends. And he gets bored with the radio.

When I get bored with the radio, I sleep. If he sleeps, we crash, burn and die, so that's not really an option. So occasionally we turn to an audio book.

I'm annoyed that audio books are so freakin' expensive -- like $70 bucks. That ain't right! And I'm annoyed that I bought a bunch of books on tape over the past three years or so, but our new car doesn't have a tape deck, so we can't use 'em anymore. And I'm annoyed that we bought "American Gods" on CD, but it's a freakin' mp3 file, and my car won't play that, either.

Did I mention I'm kind of annoyed with the state of audio books? ;-)

Anyway, sweetie picked up "Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way." Since we're both big fans of the Chinned One, we thought this would be a good diversion.

Done in the style of an old-time radio play, Campbell narrates the action in "Make Love" with the help of other actors and special effects.

The fictional story involves Campbell getting a chance at the big time -- a key supporting role in a big-budget, A-list romantic comedy.

Diving in to "research" for his role as a wise-cracking, relationship expert doorman, Bruce plans a wedding, eavesdrops on a bad date, has several life-altering encounters with Homeland Security, punches a Buddhist, chases eco-terrorists, crashes a Southern gentlemen's club, gives dating tips to Richard Gere and battles an evil Hollywood executive with the help of a leftover prop sword from "Army of Darkness" -- all as he's battling a reputation that dubs him "B-movie Ebola."

This is screamingly funny verbal slapstick -- a couple of points we were laughing so hard John almost ran off the road. Campbell is smooth, sarcastic and assured as ... himself, and although we don't get to hear from Gere, Renee Zellweger or any of the other actors he drops into the plot, the other actors in the radio play do a passable job too.

I'll probably pick up the print version at some point, just to see how much it changed. But for six hours of funny, this audio book is one to pick up. And I'd love to see it made into a movie -- starring Campbell, of course. Who else could do it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was going to get the book -- but you've just convinced me, for the first time in my life, that the audio book is superior to the print version!