Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Movie Report: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix


The kids are older. The story is darker. It's still magic.

I'm a fan of the novels, and so I have a critical eye for the movies. And this one clips along at such a breakneck pace it at times feels like an episode of "Hogwarts Hit Parade."

Yeah, all the key bits are there, but they're all rushed. But I don't think you could help that without making a 10-hour movie. Even without every little detail or phrasing I liked in the book, it's still a darn good show.

The acting is fabulous, the action is breath-taking and the emotion and connection that these kids have developed ... awww. It's touching. Umbridge is sooo dispicable, and Luna is so cool ...

I didn't like Cho very much, though -- thankfully you didn't see her much. And why did they have to make her the reason that Dumbledore's Army gets discovered? That didn't make much sense to me, except that maybe they were trying to wedge her into another scene.

I don't know if this is my favorite of the movies. Every time I see one, it's my favorite -- until I see the next one. I think I have to take them as parts of a body of work, and I can't pick a favorite.

I'll buy this one on DVD, but before that, I'm going to see it again in IMAX. I'll bet the battle in the Ministry of Magic will be something truly spectacular.

No comments: