Thursday, February 21, 2008

Movie Report: Walk the Line (2005)

For a while, everyone who was anyone in Hollywood was playing a 1960s musician. But some pretty good movies came out of this fad, so I'll give it a pass.

But what I like about Walk the Line isn't the Johnny Cash story. Have a tragic childhood, get married too young, get famous, get drunk, yadda, yadda. It's a good tale, but we've seen it so many times by now that it's become cliche.

But the romance between him and June ... Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were absolutely fabulous. It's sweet and sincere without being sentimental. They have such chemistry.

The music, of course, is great, and Phoenix and Witherspoon actually did their own singing. So while it might be labeled as just another music biopic, what we really got was an old-school Hollywood musical.

I keep watching this when I see it on cable. Maybe I'll have to break down and buy the DVD.

No comments: