Friday, February 15, 2008

Movie Report: 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Normally, I'm not a big fan of the modern-day adaptations of Shakespeare. Somehow, I just don't find Romeo and Juliet more meaningful when it's set in a trailer park.

But this adaptation of Taming of the Shrew is pretty cute. It's got a humorous script and a strong cast (for a teen flick). And the Shakespeare references are more tongue-in-cheek than slap-you-upside-the head.

I would have loved to have been as cool in high school as Julia Stiles is in this movie. And she's playing Kat, who's supposed to be the freakish, uptight bitch! Her sister, who's supposed to be the pretty, popular one, is annoying vapid and shallow -- I found myself just wishing she'd get the hell off the screen.

But really, the biggest reason to watch this movie is Heath Ledger. This is one of his early American roles, and he's just electric. He gives a stupid teen movie heart, soul and tons of sex appeal. Him singing "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" is a highlight of the entire teen movie genre.

Damn it's depressing that we're not going to see an actor this talented in any more movies.

No comments: