Sunday, May 27, 2007

Movie Report: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End


Whee!!

Talk about a fun movie!

Now, I would happily watch Johnny Depp read a cookbook for two hours, but I'm glad I didn't have to. Instead I got magic and spectacular action and humor and charm and some wonderful swordfights.

There was much swash buckled. I'm a happy girl.

Depp, of course, was perfect, in a role that he's made his own. You get some peeks into Jack's head this time around, and wow -- it's a freaky place. Orlando Bloom, thankfully, has grown into the role of Will Turner. I'm glad he no longer looks like a little kid, so I can get over being creeped out by thinking he's hot.

Keira Knightly's given more to do as Elizabeth, who is far more than a damsel in distress, although I was struck by her ability to have pearly white teeth and perfect lip gloss no matter what the situation. (She's got at least two costumes that would be *fabulous* con outfits.) Even Geoffrey Rush, who I delighted in hating as the dastardly Barbarossa, makes a pretty good good guy.

And Keith Richards was *great*.

Surprisingly, they didn't take the Disney way out -- don't expect everyone to have a happy ending. I think it's better this way.

Big movie, big cast, big plot -- and one of the biggest, best final fight scenes I've ever seen.

Don't get caught up on the details -- let Pirates sweep you away like a tidal wave.

BTW -- there's a scene at the end of the credits. Stick around.

No comments: