Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Movie Report: "Ghost Rider"


Ridin' through the streets with his head on fiiiireeee!

I'll admit my taste in comics tends more to fantasies and capes than leather and chains.

That being said, I've been reading the re-launch of the Ghost Rider comic, and I was pretty stoked to see the movie. And for the most part, I liked it.

The action rocked, with spectacular special effects. GR looked as cool as he should. Peter Fonda is a great tongue-in-cheek choice for the Devil, I like seeing Sam Elliot in *anything*, and for the most part, while the story conflated the old and new Ghost Rider stories, it was a decent adaptation.

But not all was perfect. Nicolas Cage played Johnny (off the bike) as a borderline idiot savant with the mentality of a kid and a Southern accent thick enough to spread on a biscuit. Eva Mendez, as Roxanne, had a thankless role -- she was there for boobs, and hers were shown frequently and promiently.

But my biggest problem was with Blackheart. He didn't look, sound or act *evil.* He struck me as an emo little mathlete with an overdose of black eyeliner, acting out to get daddy's attention. He didn't need to be beat down by the Devil's Bounty Hunter -- a good spanking would have done the job.

But "Ghost Rider" was a fun ride -- one I'll take at least once more before forming a final opinion. Some flicks just need a second look.

1 comment:

JennaJ said...

A mathlete ... lol Wow, I guess I learned something new today. *snicker*

I agree with your overall account on Ghost Rider. I must say I enjoyed the boobs even if the actress attached to them was mediocore, and the part you wrote about Blackheart..."acting out to get daddy's attention?" Ouch! and "a good spanking would have done the job" lol! *evil grin* That's more up my alley of kink! *giggle*

On the serious tip, the fight scenes did seem to come up and disintergrate in a flurry of disapointment, and that last line delivered by the devil... "You'll pay for this!" Ugh... Peter Why!? Why did they make you say that horrid line! *shudders*

Ahh well, it gets a B in my book for eye popper thrill and the fact it's based off the Ghost Rider comics. I've definitely seen a lot worse.

Jenna;)