Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Anime Report: Robotech - The Shadow Chronicles


Ahh, Robotech -- my old friend! Welcome back!

It's been more than 20 years since there was any new Robotech. I hope this feature movie is the start of much more to come. (This would be a *great* kickoff to a new TV series or series of movies.)

Picking up during the events of the end of the Invid invasion and the attack on Reflex Point, the movie follows the RDF's point of view. With a mix of old-school animation and modern computer graphics, "Shadow Chronicles" captures the nostalgia for the old, and the thrill of the new.

It's obvious this was made by fans of the series -- there are no plot holes, and no major retcons. And the vast majority of the original voice actors are back, with some new players like Mark Hamill and Chase Masterson. The music is beautiful, and very evocative of the series -- I hope Harmony Gold releases this soundtrack.

Now, I didn't get to see all the old friends I wanted to, and that disappointed me. (Where is the majority of the SDF-3 crew?? I miss you, Lisa!) But there was also *no* sign of Minmae or Mint, so I was happy about that.

I was lucky enough to see this on the big screen at Key Cinemas. I've already purchased the DVD.

Robotech is back now!

No comments: