Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Movie Report: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)

Everything about this movie is so beautiful, you want to savor it, and drink it in like fine wine.

There are scenes where the color bleeds off the scene, and ones that looks like portraits. Kimonos have never looked so glorious. And the dance scene is sad, wild and captivating.

That being said, it's almost too pretty, because you never forget that its a movie. I didn't fall into it the way I can with a really exceptional film. And the actresses, while all very strong, were not Japanese and they were missing a certain ... delicacy, maybe?

I like the movie because it is so beautiful, and because it gives a glimpse into the world of the geisha. But an immensely satisfying novel got cut into a good-and-evil battle wrapped in silk, and that was disappointing. I bought the DVD (used) not because I love the story, but rather because once in a while I want to see something lovely. And because I'm a sucker for DVD extras.

Beautiful, but not breathtaking.

No comments: