Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Movie Report: The Lake House (2006)

Normally, I have a rule that prohibits me from watching Sandra Bullock movies. Because 90 percent of them are *terrible.*

But something about The Lake House intrigued me, so I ignored the fact that it starred Sandra Bullock and the amazingly wooden Keanu Reeves and gave it two hours on a lazy Saturday evening.

From what I understand, no one gets this movie. And I don't get that, because it's not that hard. Let me explain:

1. Sandra is in 2006.
2. Keanu is in 2004.
3. Their time periods are not mutually exclusive.

Got it? Sandra can tell Keanu where she was in 2004, and Keanu can cross her path, but the 2004 version of Sandra will have no clue who Keanu is. Makes sense, right? So the trick is that the 2006 version of Sandra has to figure out where the 2006 version of Keanu is so that they can meet in Keanu's future (Sandra's present).

See? Not that hard!

Anyway, what you get is a sweet, slow romantic fantasy. There are some lapses in logic and a few plot holes you could drive a truck through, but I think you were supposed to ignore all that. I did, chalking it up to the troubles with time travel, which very few writers do well.

And if you turn off your brain, Lake House is okey-dokey. Not stellar, not even really good, but not nearly as sucky as something like Hope Floats.

I won't buy the DVD, but I won't poke out my own eyes to keep from watching it again, either.

No comments: