Thursday, December 20, 2007

Movie Report: Entrapment (1999)


Let us have no illusions: The star of this thief flick is Catherine Zeta-Jones' ass.

Because that's all a lot of watchers are going to remember -- Catherine in a catsuit sliding through a web of yarn that supposed to mimic a laser grid. I think the movie was made just for that scene.

But I am a fan of the stylish heist flick, so one night when I was bored I popped this in the DVD player.

Logic is not a big player in this movie. There are repeated bullshit moments, and the plot (which has large chunks stolen from Superman III) is pretty silly. The romance is ridiculous. And for some reason Sean Connery has superpowers -- because I consider repeatedly disappearing into thin air a superpower.

There are the good parts. Catherine Zeta-Jones' ass (if you're into that sort of thing). Sean Connery as an aging master thief adds some needed style and gravitas. The photography is fabulous, and Scotland should be using the gorgeous footage of the castle in the Highlands as a tourism promotion.

But if defeating super high-tech security systems and dancing away with billions in cash and priceless art was as easy as these two make it out to be, I'd be planning my next heist (Starry Night might look good in my living room) instead of writing this blog.

No comments: