Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Book Report: Storm Front


My sweetie started picking up the Dresden Files books about six months ago, and he liked them. And then I started watching the TV show with him, and I liked it.

So why not start reading the books?

Take a detective novel and add magic. The result is spellbinding.

Harry Dresden is part average joe, part 21st-century knight. He's trying to make a living in a world that's rejected magic for technology, and is desperately trying to forget that there are dark things in the shadows.

And he's got two things every modern Defender needs -- a code of honor that propels him to protect the weak and a perpetually empty wallet.

Harry is brought in by the Chicago police to consult on a pair of mysterious murders. That soon leads to a bigger conspiracy, and Harry is forced to cross paths with both the powerful Chicago Mob and a mysterious dark sorcerer.

The world is well-thought out and engaging, especially for a first novel, and the story is fast-paced with roller-coaster action and sufficient complications to keep me interested.

Butcher's got to pay, though, for the following: "...he picked me up to hurl me toward the demon. I objected with fragile tenacity." Ouch!

I like the novel better than the TV show -- and I still think the TV show is pretty darned good. This is a series I'll keep picking up.

Black magic and mobsters and demons and drugs and faeries -- oh my!

No comments: