Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I Made It! Rose's Wristwarmers


Yes, I am enough of a geek that I fandom knit.

The above is an image from the "Doomsday" episode of Season Two of the new Doctor Who. Rose had some rockin' knitwear throughout the show (and I still like her better than Martha) but I really, really liked the fingerless gloves that she wore in this scene.

It was a good scene. I cried. I coveted knitwear.

Luckily, I was not alone. A Doctor Who fan named Christina Slattery also coveted knitwear, and she was talented enough to make a pattern for the wristwarmers after studying the screengrabs.

I grab two balls of Jo Sharp Alpaca Kid Lustre and we're in business.

This was a pattern of firsts for me. First time using itty bitty bamboo double pointed-needles. First time doing elaborate cables in the round.

And first time I had to restart a glove *four danged times* before I got it right! There was much, much swearing.



I'm very happy with the finished result (even with the laddering that I couldn't stop due to the placement of the cables), but if I make them again I'll make a few changes.

These are very close-fitting, and I think I'd like them a bit splooshier. So I'd go up a needle size or two, or even consider switching to a worsted weight yarn. And I might made them a bit longer over the hands for extra warmth.

But cool fandom knit! Go me!

No comments: